Jul 8, 2019·1 min read. Describe BFC (Block Formatting Context) and how it works. A block formatting context is a part of a visual CSS rendering of a web page. It’s the region in which the layout of block boxes occurs and in which floats interact with other elements.
What are the examples of block formatting context?
Block formatting contexts
- elements made to float using float.
- absolutely positioned elements.
- elements with display: inline-block.
- table cells or elements with display: table-cell , including anonymous table cells created when using the display: table-* properties.
- table captions or elements with display: table-caption.
What is block layout in CSS?
A Block Formatting Context indicates that the item is participating in Block Layout, a Flex Formatting Context means the item is participating in Flex layout. In practice, the result is the same, floats are contained and margins do not collapse.
Does overflow hidden create a new block formatting context *?
A new block formatting context can be created by adding any one of the necessary CSS conditions like overflow: scroll , overflow: hidden , display: flex , float: left , or display: table to the container.
How does the CSS layout work?
CSS Grid Layout is a two-dimensional layout system for the web. … Positioning allows you to take elements out of the normal document layout flow and make them behave differently, for example, by sitting on top of one another, or by always remaining in the same place inside the browser viewport.
How do you use layers in HTML?
The HTML <layer> tag is used to position and animate (through scripting) elements in a page. A layer can be thought of as a separate document that resides on top of the main one, all existing within one window.
What are block elements in HTML?
A Block-level element occupies the entire horizontal space of its parent element (container), and vertical space equal to the height of its contents, thereby creating a “block”. In this article, we’ll examine HTML block-level elements and how they differ from inline-level elements.
What is float layout?
The float CSS property places an element on the left or right side of its container, allowing text and inline elements to wrap around it. The element is removed from the normal flow of the page, though still remaining a part of the flow (in contrast to absolute positioning).
Is Div A block element?
In standard HTML, a div is a block-level element whereas a span is an inline element. The div block visually isolates a section of a document on the page, and may contain other block-level components.
What is Z index in CSS?
The z-index CSS property sets the z-order of a positioned element and its descendants or flex items. Overlapping elements with a larger z-index cover those with a smaller one.
What are two valid techniques used to clear floats?
Clearing CSS Float
- The floating container method. Perhaps, the easiest way to clear floats is to float the container element itself. …
- The overflow method. This approach uses the CSS overflow property on the container element to clear CSS floats. …
- The empty div method. …
- The pseudo element method.
What is Displayflow root?
– WD. The element generates a block container box, and lays out its contents using flow layout. It always establishes a new block formatting context for its contents. It provides a better solution to the most use cases of the “clearfix” hack.
What are three types of layouts CSS?
CSS layout types: Fixed, Elastic, and Fluid.
How do you use CSS correctly?
A guide to writing better CSS
- Start with a CSS Reset. CSS Reset gives you a clean base to work with. …
- Know when to use CSS shorthand. Shorthand should reduce your file size and help speed up load times. …
- Keep it DRY. …
- Stop over-using ! …
- Keep consistent. …
- Name things intelligently. …
- Add comments when appropriate. …
- Explore Flexbox.
Which CSS layout should I use?
CSS grid is for layout, Flexbox is for alignment
The best decision that you can take for your application in order to create a very decent and well-built web layout for your application is to use both together.